Preparation is vital not only to your success in Adventure Racing but also your enjoyment. When preparing your body and mind and learning new skills, you’ll strengthen your friendships with your team members while enjoying adventurous training weekends in new and exciting places. On this page, you’ll find plenty of information to help your team achieve your adventure racing goals.
Preparation for the 2021 Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race
North Island Navigation and Adventure Racing Clinics
Rachel Smith of Navigation North will be running skills based navigation and adventure racing clinics ahead of the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. The clinics run for three hours and will include basic map skills including reading and understanding, using a compass, route choice and map preparation, teamwork as well as other adventure race specific skills. Each clinic will be followed by a two-hour rogaine on a nearby area (note: more experienced teams can just come along and participate in the rogaine, but will still need to register). There are limited spots available for each clinic so register early for a place.
North Island Small Group (just your SW team) Navigation Clinics
Darren Ashmore (Spirited Women Course Director) offers small group navigation clinics in the North Island region. These clinics can be catered to the skill level of your team and what you would like to work on.
For more details, email Darren on firstname.lastname@example.org.
National orienteering events
Orienteering NZ has events throughout the year, the vast majority of which will cater to all levels of skill and experience. These events are very affordable and a great way to practice your navigation skills leading up to the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. The ‘filters’ at the top of the page are good for narrowing down the search by area/region and type of event foot, MTB, Rogaine, etc.
For more details or to register, please check out their website here.
Get free access here.
Get free access here.
Anna Dean from Foot Traffic Coaching is delivering free training programmes & tips for all women taking part in the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. Below is the schedule of FREE email Training Programmes which will help preparing women for the 2021 events;
- DATE TBC. Monthly articles commence
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Long Course
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Medium Course
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Short Course
- DATE TBC. Fortnightly articles commence.
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Long Course.
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Medium Course.
- DATE TBC. Training Programme: 12 Week Short Course.
To sign up to receive the FREE Spirited Women Training Programmes and monthly articles in the lead up to the 2021 event, click here (coming soon).
First timers information – blog site
For all women considering doing their first adventure race, the ‘Adventure Racing Basics’ blogs provide some invaluable reading.
- Blog 1: What is Adventure Racing – Click here
- Blog 2: Gear and Clothing – Click here
- Blog 3: Food, Food, Food, What to eat during a race – Click here
- Blog 4: Preparing your headspace is as important as preparing your body – Click here
- Blog 5: Navigation for beginners – Click here
- Blog 6: Question & Answer Session with Debbie Chambers – Click here
- Blog 7: 2016 Race report by team #53 – Expedio GOT – Click here