Preparation for the 2021 Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race
Preparation is vital not only to your success in Adventure Racing but also your enjoyment. When preparing your body and mind and learning new skills, you’ll strengthen your friendships with your team members while enjoying adventurous training weekends in new and exciting places. On this page, you’ll find plenty of information to help your team achieve your adventure racing goals.
Anna Dean from Foot Traffic Coaching is delivering free training programmes for all women taking part in the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. Below is the schedule of FREE email Training Programmes which will help prepare women for the 2021 events;
- 21st December 2020. Training Programme: 12 Week Long Course.
- 21st December 2020. Training Programme:12 Week Medium Course.
- 21st December 2020. Training Programme: 12 Week Short Course.
- 18th January 2021. Training Programme: 12 Week Long Course
- 18th January 2021. Training Programme: 12 Week Medium Course
- 18th January 2021. Training Programme: 12 Week Short Course
To sign up to receive the FREE Spirited Women Training Programmes in the lead up to the 2021 event, click here.
North Island Navigation and Adventure Racing Clinics
Rachel Smith of Navigation North will be running skills based navigation and adventure racing clinics ahead of the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. The clinics run for three hours and will include basic map skills including reading and understanding, using a compass, route choice and map preparation, teamwork as well as other adventure race specific skills. Each clinic will be followed by a two-hour rogaine on a nearby area (note: more experienced teams can just come along and participate in the rogaine, but will still need to register). There are limited spots available for each clinic so register early for a place.
Fast track your success in adventure racing. So many factors come into play with adventure racing and it’s important to practice and up skill in all areas that make up a great team! But where do you start?
Join Kym from NZ Adventure Retreats and Rach from Navigation North for an intensive weekend course to get you up-to-speed fast, for the upcoming Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race.
If you are new to adventure racing or want to build your skills so you have the confidence to enter or to perform better and step up to a longer race category, then this is for you. Come along on your own or as a team.
Areas covered include:
- Navigation on foot and bike
- Practical skills sessions for mountain biking and rough ground running
- Nutrition pre-race and during the race
- Gear choice
- Bike repairs and maintenance
- Injury prevention
- Training schedules
- Fast and efficient transitions
- Strategies for race day
- Team roles
North Island Small Group (just your SW team) Navigation Clinics
Darren Ashmore (Spirited Women Course Director) offers small group navigation clinics in the North Island region. These clinics can be catered to the skill level of your team and what you would like to work on.
For more details, email Darren on email@example.com.
Marlborough Trail Running Workshops
Nat Gallant from Trail Run Physio is a physiotherapist and running technique coach based in Marlborough. Having ran the length of New Zealand on the Te Araroa Trail, Nat combines her passion for trail running with knowledge underpinned by over a decade of physiotherapy practice and post graduate training in order to deliver fun and informative Trail Running Workshops. Her workshops combine running technique advise, specific strength training, drills to maximise foot function and much more. You are guaranteed to learn neat tips and tricks and come away feeling inspired, empowered, and a little muddy and sweaty too! For more information visit www.trailrunphysio.com
- Tel: 0224206762
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: Trailrunphysio
National orienteering events
Orienteering NZ has events throughout the year, the vast majority of which will cater to all levels of skill and experience. These events are very affordable and a great way to practice your navigation skills leading up to the Spirited Women – All Women’s Adventure Race. The ‘filters’ at the top of the page are good for narrowing down the search by area/region and type of event foot, MTB, Rogaine, etc.
For more details or to register, please check out their website here.
Get free access here.
Get free access here.
First timers information – blog site
For all women considering doing their first adventure race, the ‘Adventure Racing Basics’ blogs provide some invaluable reading.
- Blog 1: What is Adventure Racing – Click here
- Blog 2: Gear and Clothing – Click here
- Blog 3: Food, Food, Food, What to eat during a race – Click here
- Blog 4: Preparing your headspace is as important as preparing your body – Click here
- Blog 5: Navigation for beginners – Click here
- Blog 6: Question & Answer Session with Debbie Chambers – Click here
- Blog 7: 2016 Race report by team #53 – Expedio GOT – Click here